Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thrift Store Spice Rack


I love shopping at thrift store. I can find such great items. As a personal chef, its a great inexpensive way to purchase dishes and bowls and other essentials that I can use for work. Then, if something should get broken or lost... I only have a few dollars invested in it. I have hundreds of plates and bowls. Odds and ends of every type. From serving pieces to bar glasses and equipment. Ice shavers/crushers to antique ice buckets and tea pots.

 Last week I noticed this spice rack at a local store. it was way up on the top shelf, nearly hidden. It was empty except for a few traces of stuck on spices. I had to elbow a little old lady out of my way to get it first. Something I am not to proud of. But I know it wont be the last time I go head to head with a little gray haired old lady for something special my eye catches at a thrift store.

When I got it home I know it needed a good cleaning before I could reuse it. I didn't want to damage the labels, they are have the charm. So I used a thin to funnel to fill each bottle with a soap/bleach solution. I let them sit out on the counter over night before emptying them and rinsing them each very well. I then used my Shark Steamer, to finish the sanitizing process.  With a damp cloth towel and a very gentle hand  I cleaned each topper and bottle label.  Then I refilled each bottle with brand new, organic spices.

It's completely impractical. I have dozens of bottles of herbs and spices and 9 little bottles isn't even a good start at keeping them handy. But I found a great little place on the limited counter space my tiny kitchen has and now its on display.

Something that someone else tossed out. I saw and recognized the potential in and with just a little bit of work, not it sparkles like new.

I love thrift stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment