Tuesday, January 25, 2011


My mother, once while browsing a Mexican restaurant menu saw "chicken tortilla soup" listed as as an appetizer. She mentioned it to me and when she did so she has such a puzzled look on her face. I asked if she wanted to try a bowl and she looked at me and said, "how do you keep the tortillas from becoming soggy?" It took me awhile to make her understand the tortillas were just a topping, "like a crouton, mom.." I explained. She passed up the chance for the soup, but I always remember that conversation when I make this recipe.


There is nothing more comforting that a warm bowl of soup of a cold winters day. Nothing that is so warm, and satisfying. This is one of those wonderful recipes that you fall back to time and time again.
  It starts by pureeing fresh tomatoes, onions, chiles and a canned chipotle chile until they are smooth and well blended. The you fry the puree in a bit of oil until nearly all the liquid has evaporated and all that remains in a thick, dark paste. You add the mass to good home made chicken stock. (I poach my chicken breasts in homemade chicken stock and then strain for clarity before I shred the chicken and put it back into the stock with the sauteed tomato/onion mixture.) Its rare that  I can find fresh epazote, but if I can I add a few sprigs to the pot while it simmers. If I cant find fresh epazote then I add several fresh cilantro stems instead. But I take them out before serving.  Occasionally I will add a pinch of dried Mexican oregano to boost the flavor. But there is little else this soup needs to really show case the fresh, deep rich flavors.


On the side Is serve tortilla chips, diced avocado, cilantro, and any other  number of toppings. One of my personal favorites is fresh corn kernels.  Its truly a work of art. This is easily one of the best chicken tortilla soups I have ever had, and by far one of the best soups in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment